A while back on the Lovecraft eZine podcast, we were talking about the Choose Your Own Adventure books that some of us read as kids. We discussed how awesome it would be if someone created new CYOA books with Lovecraftian themes.
Well, now someone has gone and done it, and I wanted to share their press release with you! (For more information or to buy the books, go here: Choose Cthulhu.)
None of us would be the persons we are today if we hadn’t discovered the CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE collection books in our childhood. These books unleashed an insatiable hunger not only for reading, but for being the protagonists of what we read.
Choose Cthulhu is a collection that has gone a step further by understanding that these products, that filled us up with joy during our childhood (until they became a passion), should make a great comeback. It has resorted to one of today’s most visually powerful brands: The Cthulhu Mythos, created by the visionary writer H.P. Lovecraft, master of the cosmic horror.
The collection Choose Cthulhu has adapted six of his best and most renowned horror adventures to the GAMEBOOK format.
- THE CALL OF CTHULHU (1926) written by H.P. Lovecraft and adapted by Víctor Conde.
- THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH (1931) written by H.P. Lovecraft and adapted by Giny Valrís.
- AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS (1931) written by H.P. Lovecraft and adapted by Edward T. Riker.
- THE DUNWICH HORROR (1928) written by H.P. Lovecraft and adapted by Víctor Conde.
- THE NAMELESS CITY (1921) written by H.P. Lovecraft and adapted by Giny Valrís.
- THE DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE (1932) written by H.P. Lovecraft and adapted by Edward T. Riker.
To these six titles, a seventh, EXCLUSIVE to the crowdfunding campaign, and only available to those who buy the entire collection or participate in our proposal for main contributors, will be added to these.
The Arkham Madhouse (2017) written by Víctor Conde, Giny Valrís and Edward T. Riker, main writers and promoters of this initiative.
Each of these volumes will be available in English and Spanish, and will be published in two different formats for our patrons to choose from; VINTAGE and DELUXE.
Each book has 100 playable sections, 11 illustrations and, approximately, 120 pages for the vintage edition, and around 140 for the deluxe edition –which will also be a hardcover!